Re: GIMP distributing sRGB profiles: license issues?

On Wed, 2010-03-10 at 16:36 +1100, Graeme Gill wrote:
[...]
> Hmm. I'm not sure that 3k for an image is really that significant
> given the bloat and slowdown on typical websites

Some people (including me) go to quite a bit of trouble to make the
initial Web page load as quickly as possible. It makes a huge difference
to the user experience.

Sure, 3K isn't much. 20 icons on the page? 60K. Dialup? An extra ten
seconds. A lost customer, sometimes. An option to embed, refer, or
neither, makes sense to me, because you can't predict which is wanted.

> [...]

>  The moves to use URL references is
> one aimed at reducing the overhead, but I wonder if it is worth the
> trouble and breakage it will cause.
It sounds like if it's done right it will be an improvement.

The point of the Web has been summarized as, "let's see what happens
if you give everything a name."

Liam