Re: GIMP distributing sRGB profiles: license issues?

I am still trying to get my head around this subject / thread.

In various places (not necessarily in this thread) there is discussion
of "embedding profiles" and "tagging with color space".  It is NOT clear
to me if these are two phrases with the same meaning.

As I recall, the OP brought this overall subject up due to serious
issues he was having with his target audience.  It was not clear to me
if his problems were problems for all audiences.  (As I recall, his
issue related to color in artwork not matching defined color names of
elements in web pages.)

>From my reading, especially of  G. Ballard of www.gballard.net
http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/embeddedJPEGprofiles.html
http://www.gballard.net/psd/save_for_web_embed_ICC_profile.html

Ballard is emphatic that images for web use should *NOT* have "embedded
profiles" and should *NOT* be "tagged with a color space" except under
unusual circumstances.

His demonstrations are worth a look.  (However, I wish his writing was
more precise and less repetitive.)

At the BOTTOM of this message I quote something he says buried on
http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/embeddedJPEGprofiles.html

............... So what I want to understand is .........

- In Gimp, I understand that an image without an embedded color space is
treated as if it had an embedded sRGB color space.

- BUT, when that image (without a previously embedded color space) is
edited and saved in Gimp, is there any "embedding" or "assigning" or
"tagging" of color space being done it the user does not explicitly
assign a color space?

- And do the words "embedding" or "assigning" or "tagging" mean the same
thing in this context?

- In a previous discussion it was suggested that round-tripping using
tifftopnm and pnmtotiff would remove color profile parasites that might
exist for whatever reason.  Is this still the best method?

- What is it that I am missing about this subject?  I feel like I am
missing something important, but I don't know quite what.

[I currently use approximately 20,000 BASE images (each in four sizes,
thus 80,000 potentially) spread over 1975 web pages.  When my site is
"done" (never), it will be closer to 6000 web pages, unless I get
ambitious.  For my products (postage stamps) color is an important issue
-- sometimes the difference between a light-dark-blue-green stamp and a
dark-light-blue-green stamp can be $100 in value (or more) and a sale vs
no sale.]

================

QUOTING G. Ballard

EMBEDDING ICC PROFILES
in internet photos and graphics:

While Safari for Windows-based computers makes color-managed web
browsers more common, this professional webmaster will continue to strip
ICC profiles from 99 percent of the digital photos he publishes, mostly
because adding color profiles increases file sizes, about 4K per photo.

Multiply that by the number of slices contained in the picture or how
many web graphics are in a web page and the download size and time to
load the page greatly increases.

I believe the future of embedding ICC profiles on the internet is more
in line with Windows Vista because it already treats untagged color as
sRGB and thereby doesn't need color tags to display web color properly.

I base my professional internet publishing workflows on facts 1) sRGB
srgb.icc is arguably the default color space of the internet, and 2)
sRGB (standard red green blue) is the target color space of the world
wide web intranet.

END QUOTE