Re: enhancement: warnings instead of fatal error for duplicate calls to gimp_env_init

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 9:07 AM, Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 08:46 -0300, Joao S. O. Bueno wrote:
>
>> > I wonder if importing a plug-in from another plug-in is really something
>> > that we want to support. If the goal is to share code, then perhaps the
>> > code that is worth sharing should be factored out into a Python module
>> > that the plug-ins can import.
>> >

>> Every Python program is also able to be a python module that plug-ins
>> can import. We should preserve this feature of the language.
>
> What exactly does that statement mean for the problem at hand?

Means that the language has a feature to make development easier: that
is it eases up reuse of the code by requiring less source code fiels
to achieve the same tasks.

So - it is not usual for a Python developer to be required do factor
out a fully working source code file, that can be used as a stand
alone piece, in order to re-use parts of the code in that file in
other applications. The language has a trivial, elegant and seamless
mechanism to allow this.

The "problem at hand" as I see is exactly to preserve this Python
language feature in GIMP plug-ins.

On the other hand, simply putting a python module that is not a fully
functional plug-in in GIMP's plug-ins directory, would cause GIMP to
issue error messages on start-up , due to failed plug-in
initialization.  All GIMP will see is an executable ".py" file along
with the plug-ins.

Having to provide a directory structure, hacking with import paths,
etc...just because one wants to share, say a couple RGB<->HSV
functions in a set of 2 or 3 plug-ins is overkill.

   js
  -><-