Re: Introduction & Questions about GSoC2009 Idea: "Plugin for image segmentation"

On Mon, 2010-03-01 at 20:32 -0300, Thiago Spina wrote:
> Hello, Gerald.
>
> On 1 March 2010 19:57, Gerald Friedland <fractor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>         Hi all,
>
>         I agree that we should first merge the GSOC code from this
>         year before
>         we start thinking of a new segmenter. Let me know if you need
>         any
>         help. However, I think both a graph-cut-based segmenter and
>         SIOX could
>         have a place in GIMP side-by-side. Graphcut-based segmenters
>         and SIOX
>         have different complementary properties. It is going to be a
>         GUI
>         challenge though because it requires expert knowledge to know
>         when to
>          use which.
>

> I do believe that using both algorithms could be a nice solution. In
> fact, it was my original proposal and I am willing to try to merge
> both methods.

The current code is prepared for multiple algorithms as backend for the
segmentation tool. It's not foreseen that you switch between algorithms,
but that you pick one, but even that could probably be changed. As there
is currently only the SIOX backend, there's no choice of algorithm
exposed in the user interface. But it wouldn't be too difficult to add a
toggle or combo-box for that. The question is how much does the user
interaction depend on the chosen algorithm?

Sven