Re: Introduction & Questions about GSoC2009 Idea: "Plugin for image segmentation"

Hi all,

I agree that we should first merge the GSOC code from this year before
we start thinking of a new segmenter. Let me know if you need any
help. However, I think both a graph-cut-based segmenter and SIOX could
have a place in GIMP side-by-side. Graphcut-based segmenters and SIOX
have different complementary properties. It is going to be a GUI
challenge though because it requires expert knowledge to know when to
use which.

Thiago: I can give you a couple of pictures that you should try with
your segmenter and then compare against SIOX... especially those with
a lot of texture and semi-transparent layers. The new version of SIOX
can cope with them very well. Graph-based segmentation algorithms
can't because they look for a minimum cut, which is a problem because
especially those highly complicated pictures require a lot of time to
do manually.

Gerald
--
Dr. Gerald Friedland