Re: UI Proposal for GIMP 2.8 color management

Hi -- and apologies i'm quite late,

Martin Nordholts wrote:
> I would like to add that with GEGL, desaturation will always be
> performed in linear light 32-bit RGBA (maybe even LAB), so the color
> space of source bitmap won't matter for the quality of the conversion.

Additionally, with floating point processing i'd like to see the user working
with just 'colors' -- and be relieved from having to choose a working space.

I wonder what the problems of ultra-wide gamut color space are (due to
virtual colors etc.). I'd be grateful for any pointers.

> The subject of the mail suggests this is for 2.8, but it should work
> pretty good on any GIMP version because of it's generic nature. I am
> afraid this will be necessary unless we postpone or reschedule the GIMP
> 2.8 release.

.. i'll hope for some magic that someone chimes in to make it happen ;)

However, there are several options to lessen the required coding effort
for import handling *). The most radical of which is to use the classic
pop-up dialog, together with a corresponding prefs item:
"Ask on bitmap import: always/never/if in doubt".
The other sections of the proposal can stay pretty much the same.

If this variant sounds reasonably close to a minimal strategy, i can work
out the details, just let me know if that makes sense ;)

In comparison with the current behaviour, this solution gives better defaults
to support both a color-managed primary workflow and the secondary workflow,
which moreover may be unmanaged -- without one having to dive into the preferences.

regards,
yahvuu

*) There are two more variants which should require less coding than
   the on-canvas approach and still offer smooth workflows:

   Adjusting the color space conversion boils down to two steps: 1) undo the last import
   and 2) re-do with the new parameters, so my uneducated guess is that the bitmap to be
   imported could be pushed on the undo stack...

   Variant 1: buttons in the viewport corner instead of an attachment to the new layer(s):
    http://yahvuu.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/var1-viewport.png

   Variant 2: GtkInfoBar:
    http://yahvuu.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/var2-gtkinfobar.png