How to get a Selection from a region of pixels ?

I am writing a GIMP plugin in C . I want to represent a�contiguous�region of pixels with some similarity as a selection by passing either all pixels in that region or the boundary pixels of this region. i did a considerable amount of searching but couldn't really find a way through the GIMP API or any other means .�
Through the GIMP's standard GUI there are options like�
1. Fuzzy Select Tool and
2. Select by Color Tool
which give the Selection on the Image.
But I want to know how to get such a selection based on some parameters(not color) through a GIMP plugin in C.

Sanju Maliakal