Re: paint dynamics

Hello

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 10:45 PM, Alexia Death <alexiadeath@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Curves widget is not a problem. Problem is the general making of Peter's
> spec[1] so that developers who do know gtk, dont faint in disgust at the sight
> of the code. for example, one dock needs to hold 2.5 distinct views. the check
> gird and two very similar variants of curves views switched by the drop down.
> I cant even imagine a solution for this in gtk terms.
>
> [1] http://gui.gimp.org/index.php/Paint_dynamics_specification

Wow! This seems to be an amazing idea, and probably extremly long to
implement...

So let's do some analyzing:
1. We need to implement a check grid. This seems to be pretty simple
using a GtkTable (if we pick the simple way), or if we use a
GtkTreeView (which can actually show a table) with
GtkCellRendererToggle.
2. The painting of the matrix as showed in the specifications seems
very hard, and I doubt it worths it. We can easily implement different
colors for each row, and users will have to settle for a little border
between the columns. If we agree to give up the proposed matrix
painting and choose what I suggested, it can be done with GtkTreeView
without any special changes, but it will leave the simpler GtkTable
our of the question (which is fine with me).
3. Adding the images with the link's color should be a bit tricky, but
I assume that it can be done dynamically (by drawing those images
after acquiring the link's color, instead of embedding ready bitmaps).
4. Popup window: Part 1 - the curves widget. This can definetly be
stolen from the curves tool, no need to work twice. The only needed
modification is that we can show some other curves at the background,
and that we add min and max arrows.
5. Popup window: Part 2 - switching the tabs. This doesn't seem to
bad, especially since we already have similar functionality in the
curves tool.

only two things seem problomatic:
A treeview widget can't have a bitmap in it's header, And adding the
bitmaps as the first row is ugly and probably not the right way to do
this. The guys on the GTK mailing list will probably be able to help
us out here.
And another questions is, why do we have the same header images at the
bottom? Adding a footer to a GtkTreeView isn't possible. Do we really
need that? Here i'm defintly sure it's not worth the coding amount
that it will require, and I personally find it confusing.

I haven't seen anything that scary in here, but I doubt that I'll have
time to touch it in this month. If I implement something like this on
a dummy GtkWindow (instead of hacking GIMP's source code, which I
don't excel at) as a stand-alone Gtk application, will it help?
If so, I'll try to give it a shot.
If you want to see how to use the TreeView and the CellRenderer, the
gtk-demo program (which comes with GTK) has a nice example under "Tree
View/List Store". The code is very simple and in one of the columns
you'll see the Toggle renderer.

> for example, one dock needs to hold 2.5 distinct views
I haven't understood that sentence. Can you please explain (or, have I
referred to it already)?

Just one offtopic comment: Some of the icons seem very unintuitive -
even as an "old" GIMP user I'm still confused by the fifth one from
the left. What does it stand for?

~LightningIsMyName