Re: Color management dataflow [was: Color management (UI perspective for GIMP 2.8)]

Christopher Curtis wrote:
> On a more philosophical note, how does one represent a color that does
> not exist on a display but does on an output device?  Do we make the
> assumption that the display always has the widest gamut?  (I.e: GIMP
> will never run on a mono/CGA device and print to a CMYK printer.)  Is
> that a concern?

There's nothing special about this. In general any transformation
from one colorspace to another has to cope with different gamuts.
You simply choose how to handle it (ie. clip, perceptually map, etc.)
by choosing an intent.

It's not unknown to have a mode in an image editor that compresses the
gamut of the source so that a very large gamut image can be viewed
on a limited gamut display without loosing the ability to be able
to see all its color variations. Naturally it will look a lot
duller than it will when displayed on the intended device.

Graeme Gill.