Re: Color management dataflow [was: Color management (UI perspective for GIMP 2.8)]

On Feb 13, 2010, at 9:42 AM, Hal V. Engel wrote:

I some ways I agree with Chris but the X.Org developers have insisted on an
ongoing basis that it is NOT their responsibility to handle color management
of the display.   If we wait for X.Org to implement CM it will likely never
happen.

I'd definitely second this point. I've been in many discussions with several key players in this arena, and when all technical details are explored it does seem to come down to the points that X11 does not and should not deal with color management in these regards and needs to leave it to the individual apps. To get a fully usable system, X11 would require some major reworking, and thus won't be seen any time soon.

Of course, to end up with an optimal workflow for end users, GTK could be adapted to handle a fair bit by itself (and, yes, there is work happening on this at the moment). Toolbars, icons, menus, color selectors, etc., ideally would be color managed by GTK. But whatever "automatic" color management is added to GTK needs to be done in such a way as to allow the "smart" programs (such as GIMP) to hook in and control/override as needed.