Re: Color management dataflow [was: Color management (UI perspective for GIMP 2.8)]

On Sun, Feb 14, 2010 at 10:03 AM, Christopher Curtis <ccurtis0@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 5:58 PM, Jon Cruz <jon@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> [...]
>> does seem to come down to the points that X11 does not and should not deal
>> with color management in these regards and needs to leave it to the
>> individual apps. To get a fully usable system, X11 would require some major
>> reworking, and thus won't be seen any time soon.
>
> Do you have a reference to these discussions?  It seems like X
> *should*, accepting that it may be difficult.

Imo the video card is the correct handler of these issues. X should
just upload an appropriate lookup table (which is functionality
already available in X, but doesn't happen automatically). Presumably
a multihead video card allows multiple LUTs. From that point of view,
it might make most sense for the desktop environment to do the
uploading of the LUT(s), since you would probably use it to select and
test the profile.

>> Of course, to end up with an optimal workflow for end users, GTK could be
>> adapted to handle a fair bit by itself (and, yes, there is work happening on
>> this at the moment). Toolbars, icons, menus, color selectors, [...]
>
> I was just going to say here that putting it in GTK could also 'fix'
> the color selector issues; let me just emphasize that point here.
>

> On a more philosophical note, how does one represent a color that does
> not exist on a display but does on an output device?
> Do we make the
> assumption that the display always has the widest gamut?

That's tempting but ultimately incorrect, IMO,
since most displays approximate sRGB, which only has what ..56%
coverage of the visible spectrum? We should only make that assumption
when the coverage becomes close to a superset of all other important
mediums of reproduction (eg. when scRGB or whatever displays with 90%
coverage of visible gamut are common).

Looking at GEGL, the intermediate result of a computation (like
mathematically a + b where a,b are layers) may be >1.0 or <0.0, and we
must be able to differentiate  those areas ,in the image and when we
are eyedropping.
I guess we need some way of depicting exposure stops independently for
the R,G,B levels and also of  setting them.

To clarify: I mean that the color RGB 1.0, 1.0, 1.0 would have
exposure 0,0,0; the color RGB -1.,0.,-2. would have exposure -1, 0,
-2; RGB 2,2.5,2.8 would have exposure 1, 2, 2 etc.