Improving the UI, removing the dockable drag handles

Hi everyone,

I just attached a patch to

   Bug 346881 - Remove redundant title of tab and move menu button up

that removes the drag handles in dockables and moves the dockable menu
button up to the row of tabs. A screenshot based comparison between 2.6
and git with the patch applied can be found here (note that the docking
bars are already removed in git):

   http://www.chromecode.com/temp/gimp-no-dockable-drag-handle.png

This change frees up space for dockable content, which is nice, but
since the change has a rather big impact on the UI I would like the
opinions from people on this list. Let us first enumerate what the drag
handle that the patch removes provides:

1. It acts as a drag handle
2. It flashes when the dockable is selected with the keyboard, an
important feedback
3. It hosts the dockable menu button
4. It hosts a textual name of the dockable

And now, what of this is lost with the patch? 1 is not lost because the
patch makes tabs always show, also when there only is one dockable, and
tabs are drag handles too. 2 is addressed by the patch, it moves the
flashing from the drag handle to the entire dockable, using the same
highlight as in drag-and-drop. 3 is fine, the button is simply moved to
the row of tabs. 4 is the tricky one, the patch doesn't really address this.

I can see two main approaches regarding 4:

  a. Use the tab tooltip for the textual description
  b. Make use of that the tabs themselves are configurable, they can be
changed to show the dockable name instead of an icon, or even both

Right now I lean towards a, the icons are descriptive by themselves.

I'd like to get this into GIMP 2.8, and for that we both need to agree
on the details, which we will do in this thread, and we need to wait for
GTK+ 2.20 to be released because we rely on GtkNotebook API available
only in GTK 2.20.

Any comments appreciated

Regards,
Martin