Re: On bug 373060 - allow to easily switch to last used tool

2010/1/9 Alexia Death <alexiadeath@xxxxxxxxx>
On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 8:21 PM, peter sikking <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> would you not be helped with 2 user presets for the dodge/burn tool,
> which you would choose alternating during using the tool?
>
> so per-tool presets would be the solution for your case
> (and, yes, millions of other cases where users _always_ use
> a couple of options setups alternatingly with a single tool)
May it be noted that the tool presets of this nature already exist.
they are just terrible to use. those little buttons and menus in tool
options suck. So perhaps we could just start with making those tool
presets usable?

Hah, I just didn't think about those, but you're right : they do the per-tool-presets job quite well.

Tool presets ui sucks a lot, but I'd say that all presets ui suck.
I mean : if you want to quickly switch between presets and tune them, you
have to keep a _lot_ of dockables on screen. Otherwise it is all switching between
dockables, not to mention that you can't create a new brush/gradient/dynamics/foo
from the foo-editor : you have to go back to the selector and click the "new" button,
which will bring you back to the editor.

The two available options are either a waste of space or a waste of time, that sucks.
IMO, selectors and editors should really get merged, or editors should have a selector widget at least.

I feel I'm going way off topic, but every presets UI enhancement seems related to this bug.

    Damien.