Re: On bug 373060 - allow to easily switch to last used tool

2010/1/9 peter sikking <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

looking at the nature of the "small ad-hoc arsenal of tools +
tools settings + resources" requirement, I think that a brainstormed
mix of something I proposed ages ago, 'blobs of paint' or file palette,
see:

<http://www.mmiworks.net/eng/publications/2007/05/lgm-top-gimp-user-requests_25.html

under "4. better painting tools"

and something yahvuu has been brainstorming:

<http://gimp-brainstorm.blogspot.com/2009/05/palettes-smoking-carrots.html

so a file specific working palette where any tool+settings (one thing),
resource, plugin+parameters, color can be dragged in, dragged out and
recalled to be the thing to use. this would form that small ad-hoc
arsenal.

I particularly like the idea of file specific paint blobs, though I think there can be a set of user/app-wide blobs that can share the same ui.
Regarding the implementation, such a file specific set of tool presets would require to have them - gradients, brushes, palettes and fonts included - embedded in the xcf file. Is this currently possible ? If not, can this be afforded without breaking too much things ?

I would love to work on such a feature but I think I can't play it by ear. This would require a lot more work than what I did.

    Damien.