Re: Definition #5 is bad, but what about #1-4???

On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 19:41 -0400, Sparr wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 7:35 PM, vabijou2 <vabijou@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Lame, crippled, inept, deficient, or sexual deviant .....
> >
> > I get that it's an acronym, but that doesn't mean it isn't incredibly
> > strange to want to associate a project that the developers are proud of with
> > any of these interpretations!
>
> You are restarting an argument that is already a decade old, and has
> been fought to conclusion a dozen times over.

Fought to conclusion yes, but I can't remember anyone ever agreeing.  I
think even within the people who develop or contribute to gimp via
discussion, people just eventually give up and go along with the joke.
The name and the joke is on so many levels not very clever, there is a
lot of tautology in the meaning only a little less when general became
GNU. There is also the obvious association between gimp in leather, or
gimp with a limp, or meanings in other languages (although the relevance
of this point is questionable in most circumstances).

We as people have more important things to do, whether it is with GIMP
or the real world.  Hell, I count getting drunk and waking up in a
gutter as more important than re-hashing conversations that have little
merit.

On a more serious note, and to rehash what Sven has said before, if this
was ever considered there is a lot of brand association with the name
GIMP even for people who tried gimp 5+ years ago, and say GIMP is clunky
because of this crazy weird UI (quite literally a gimp ui-wise).  If a
name change was considered, the only thing other than 'GIMP' that could
be associated as GIMP (for me personally) is Wilber or Wilber Image
Editor. Which to me sounds cool and funky, it also gets rid of the
duality of association between GIMP, gimp and Wilber the gimp, and more
importantly me having to read this conversation repeatedly.

In conclusion, I think it is a dry joke between people who understand,
it is that cliquish understanding which perpetuates the idea that the
joke is funny, clever or culturally significant.  I propose that GIMP as
a project is what we care about, and frankly everyone working on GIMP
should be damn proud of what is being achieved.  The name on the other
hand, only contains value for brand association or for those who find it
clever.

regards,
Stephen.