Re: Chicken and egg with docs

On Mon, 2009-10-26 at 01:59 +0000, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:
> GIMP docs are most of the time out-of-sync.  Possible workaround:
>
> Currently, a changelog entry looks like this:
>
> =====
> commit 16643800a1ff14378bbba981793c6d6085fda607
> Author: Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx>
> Date:   Tue Aug 4 23:20:49 2009 +0200
>
>     Change the default for the 'trust-dirty-flag' gimprc option back
>     to FALSE
>
>     It appears that there are good reasons why a user might want to
>     save a clean image, for example because the file has been deleted
>     or damaged.  (cherry picked from commit
>     5c630f4ad8ef55d2249968102cb8f5cb8fadfe23)
> =====
>
> Suppose
>
>   A) One puts section names like
>
> 	 sect1="gimp-concepts-file-save"
> 	 sect1="gimp-file-save-dialogue"
>
>      in a separate paragraph inside the changelog entry.  Whatever
>      follows this paragraph is considered to be worthy to be seen by users.

Sorry, but that is not feasible. We can't look through the list of help
IDs for each commit. What we usually do at some point is to collect a
list of user-visible changes and puth them into the release notes. We do
that to help users and documenters.

If you want to help, then forget about doing this automatically. Instead
you could volunteer to track the git repository for user-visible changes
that should be documented and prepare a list of these changes. If you'd
do that on a regular basis, that would certainly help.

This is still the wrong mailing-list for discussing the documentation.
If you want to reach the people who are actually writing the docs, then
please move this to the gimp-docs list.

Sven