Re: Progressive escalation of help

On Sun, 2009-10-25 at 16:19 +0100, Martin Nordholts wrote:

> >> Ship, that is :)
> >>
> >> Alexandre
> >
> > YES !!
>
> I agree, distributing documentation separately for a program
> like GIMP never made much sense to me

You are ignoring two facts here:

(1) The user manual is a separate project with its development cycle
    and release dates. If we really insist on shipping the manual
    with GIMP, then we would have to wait for the user manual to be
    ready. For GIMP 2.6 that would have meant to delay the release
    for almost a year.

(2) The user manual is a lot larger than the program itself. If we
    insisted on shipping the user manual with each release of GIMP,
    then installing a bug-fix for GIMP would require a download of
    about 275MB compared to the 16MB that you'd have to download
    now.

IMO you are making a problem here that does not any longer exist. Not
having a release of the user manual for 2.6 was indeed a problem, but
that has finally been solved recently. Instead of complaining we should
thank the GIMP documentation team for their hard work. And we should
thank Jernej for providing installers for the user manual.

It would be a good idea though to discuss what can be done to make sure
that help for 2.8 will be available around the time that 2.8 is
released. But this is a discussion that belongs to the gimp-docs
mailing-list.

Sven