Re: Would single-window fix usability nightmares?

On 10/22/2009 04:15 PM, Nicolas Robidoux wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 1:50 PM, peter sikking wrote:
>
>> another 'external' area where we really can use some help is gegl,
>> to get that from its bumbling experimentation speed to production
>> speeds that are same or even better that current GIMP (I read between
>> the lines in irc that not everything in GIMP it profiled to the bone).
>
> (Warning: Foot in mouth ahead.)
>
> I have the impression that the least painful way to make GEGL fast
> SOON may be to build its desired API on top of VIPS.

We can't use VIPS in GIMP because we need a dynamic graph.
In practice that also rules out implementing GEGL with VIPS.

Regarding GEGL's performance issues: It's not that GEGL still is slow
because we don't know how to make it faster, there many identified
areas that we know could be improved, it's just no one have had time
to improve GEGL's performance further yet.

Once GIMP 2.8 is out that will change. At least I plan on hacking
a lot on GEGL once 2.8 is out...

 / Martin

--

My GIMP Blog: