Re: Icons for layer modes

hi,

peter sikking wrote:
> Martin Nordholts wrote:
>> [..] I have
>> for a long time felt that layer modes is just a primitive and naive
>> way to achieve some kind of non-destructiveness.

yes, the evil plan which spun off my posting is to get rid of the layer mode concept.

In my regard, blending is a complex adjustment rather than the choice of one discrete mode.
What is currently called layer modes can be seen as factory presets of a future blend tool.
A dedicated tool which allows on-canvas adjustment of blending characteristics will presumably
work best.

Using an analogy, the current situation for blending is like not having the curves tool,
but only preset curves to choose from. And indeed there's a relation between curves and
blending, for each RGB blend mode can be described as a set of 256 curves, at least within
8bit-accuracy.

But that's a loong way to go, especially if the adjustments shall be artistically
relevant ones. So the question is what to do right now?
The current set of layer modes seems rather arbitrary to me.

peter sikking wrote:
> maybe there are simply zero arguments to add modes...

each new mode adds one finer step for adjustment of blending characteristics.

If i want to darken a layer by itself, the curves tool allows nearly infinite
different characteristics of darkening. If i want to darken a layer by another one,
there are a total of 3(!) characteristics available: 'darken only', 'multiply' and 'burn'.

Of course, there won't ever be enough layer modes, which is one reason why
they have to die long-term...

> [..] but now I see that
> [..] applying an adjustment layer [..]
> [..] is completely valid, [..]

i'd like to take the same line:
if a layer is just a transparent sheet, and a composition is just a
projection of a stack of sheets, then it's most natural to insert
(photographic) filters in between. Say, a colorizing red glas
or a freaky effect lens, in general: an adjustment layer.

thanks for the encouraging comments,
yahvuu