Re: Icons for layer modes

On 10/01/2009 06:40 PM, peter sikking wrote:
> peter (yahvuu) wrote:
>
> first: let me say that there is some real innovative stuff in this
> post, it is surely intriguing me.

I can only agree, really nice work yahvuu

> <http://yahvuu.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/table-brightness-1600.png>
>
> there is a grab bag of modes never seen in GIMP. do we want to
> (artistic need, not compatibility) and can (effort) add some of them?

Effort-wise it is not a problem to add more layer modes, but I have
for a long time felt that layer modes is just a primitive and naive
way to achieve some kind of non-destructiveness.

Assuming the introduction of GEGL will be severely crippled if done
within the limits of GIMP 2.x backwards compatibility and that we
decide to go for GIMP 3.x, wouldn't it be interesting to try to
get rid of the layer mode concept as it is now and instead couple
it more with the rest of the non-destructiveness GEGL will provide?
Or are people too used to the concept of layer modes that it would
be suicide to make them less prominent?

BR,
Martin

--