Re: Icons for layer modes

Martin Renold wrote:
[cut]
> But those
> brush modes would "copy" the composited image into the current layer and
> brighten it there.  The result would look on the screen as if you had
> flattened the image first.  If I understood you correctly, this is exactly
> what you proposed in your footnote?

Yes, I meant exactly this!
Of course it would be an optional setting.

> David was somewhat enthusiastic about this, but I'm still wondering whether
> this would not result in some major annoyances, compared to layer modes?

I still think layer modes (or layer operations) have their place,
especially if they involve pre-made resources (for example the Overlay
layer mode I wrote about in my previous post in my case is used mainly
to apply subtle textures to areas painted on lower layers, for example
paper/canvas texture).

> When you make invisible a layer below the one you used to brighten the
> image, you would see the (faint) image structure from the hidden layer
> because some of it was copied while brightening.  Would this be no big
> issue?

Now that I think about it, you're right, this could be a problem
depending on the situation.

> Would it be important to also be able to manipulate (eg. brighten)
> the current layer only, in the way that brush modes work right now in GIMP?

I think it would be important/useful to be able to affect only a limited
set of layers. I think that layer groups/trees, which will be
implemented in the 2.8 version of GIMP will add this capability (if a
priority system based on layer position within the tree will be
implemented. By the way, this is where GEGL is heading, from what I know).

> I understand if you're more interested in GIMP than in MyPaint, but I am
> still interested whether this would be compatible with your workflow...

It appears it would be. Some issues would have to be sorted out though.
By the way, this side-discussion started because on Photoshop CS4 I can
use different painting modes even on totally transparent areas (if there
is nothing in the background, then the brush behaves as if the painting
mode is "Normal"), while GIMP does not.

> And, have you already used a software that offers such a feature?

I can't try it again right now, because the trial period has expired and
for some reasons it doesn't work anymore (it should, but without the
file save features), but if I remember well Paint Tool SAI is a very
good software for illustration/painting/drawing which handles layers and
layer modes better than other programs:

http://www.systemax.jp/en/sai/

I think layer modes here work on a hierarchy tree structure. Try it if
you can.

> bye,
> Martin
>
> [1] http://www.davidrevoy.com/temp/mypaint-request/