Re: We should go for a single-window mode in 2.8

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 8:57 PM, Liam R E Quin <liam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-09-20 at 20:51 +0930, David Gowers wrote:
>
>> Perhaps a split-panel option for single window mode would resolve
>> this. (I believe we could still only reasonably show a maximum of 2
>> images at once; this is simply a limitation of the single-window
>> format AFAICS.)
>
> Do you mean that the windows would be too small, e.g. on a 30"
> "cimena" display or with 5 LCD monitors :), or do you mean
> that the toolkit only supports two panes??
Too small (except on a 30" single display. 5 LCD monitors is not a
situation in which I can reasonably imagine you would want to use
single-window mode; feel free to contradict me if you have experience
with this.)

There are no relevant GTK+ limitations. However I understand that with
the current GUI setup of GIMP, horizontal splits like
|IMG|IMG|
are easier to implement in terms of visual organization.

> For cloning you only need a tiny part of the source visible...

This is only true IMO if the source auto-scrolls as you clone.
Otherwise, especially when you need to be reasonably precise, you may
need a relatively large display (for example, 150x150 area @ 300% zoom
= 450x450)