I only have Gimp 2.6.7 binaries

Yes I know, but those are beta releases and many people say that using the
text tool crashes their Gimp 2.7 a lot. As a general rule I avoid beta
software, not always but most of the time because I usually rather wait for
the stable release. I don't mind waiting a bit longer for the new single entry
in the task bar feature, right now I'm more concern with the graphic card
issue with the selection markee, I will report that to Nvidia just in case. If
it turns out to be a bug with the graphic driver instead of Gimp the more
users with this problem that report it to Nvidia the merrier.

--
David G. (via www.gimpusers.com)