Re: We should go for a single-window mode in 2.8

"I personally, deffinitely prefer the Gimp being a program that always showsas a single entry in the taskbar that's really my main concern, it's justeasier to manage single entry programs with a multiple applications workflow."

But GIMP 2.7 solve that. Maybe you don't use 2.7. A single entry intaskbar and when the canvas window is minimized all other utilitywindows are minimized too.

2009/9/6 Ramón Miranda <mirandagraphic@xxxxxxxxx>:> David G said>>always opened like this and Gimp already has the ability to save it's>> layout too. Photoshop allowed this>>perfectly and still was a single window program.>> i would like to have also the ability so save my workspace and change> "inside" the gimp from. for example. paint workspace to a "photoretouch"> space . instead having different sessionrc and quiting gimp to change the> workspace. i hope you will understand me.>> 2009/9/6 David G. <forums@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>>>> >I like modular structures becouse they allows more custom changes. So>> > this>> >way you can change your layout of panels. But if all it would be in a>> single>> >window , ithink lot of users would thanks that. becouse i hear a lot...">> >Gimp is nice , but his gui is ugly and uncomfortable.i don?t like to see>> > a>> >lot of panels flying through my desktop">> >>> >Lets give it a try to a single window mode>> >>> >2009/9/5 Martin Nordholts <enselic@xxxxxxxxx>>> >>> >> On 09/05/2009 06:22 PM, Richard Nespithal wrote:>> >> >> A single-window mode would also turn 2.8 into a remarkable release>> >> > is it possible, to switch back to multi-window mode in 2.8?>> >>>> >> That is not really relevant to this thread.>> >> (But yes of course it will be possible.)>> >>>> >>  / Martin>> >>>> >> -->> >>>> >> My GIMP Blog:>> >> http://www.chromecode.com/>> >>>> >> _______________________________________________>> >> Gimp-developer mailing list>> >> Gimp-developer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> >> https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer>> >>>> >>> >>>>>   I don't know why people mention so much that if you create a single>> window>> Gimp that that it will not allow you to put your tools in a second monitor>> because I used Photoshop also many times and despite it being a single>> window>> program it allows you to put the toolbox and the parameter windows (or at>> least it did in some older versions) in a separate monitor and leave the>> main>> program window all for editing pictures if that's what people wanted. You>> coul>> also save the workspace layout so Photoshop always opened like this and>> Gimp>> already has the ability to save it's layout too. Photoshop allowed this>> perfectly and still was a single window program.>>>>   If that's the concern of people then perhaps Gimp should become a single>> windows program that allows this, that allows you to put the toolbox and>> the>> right utilities window in a separate monitor while still preserving a>> single>> box or entry in the taskbar. In my opinion having a single entry in the>> taskbar is much better because it's far less messy, the biggest problem>> with>> the multiple entries interface is that some people seem to think that>> everybody opens Gimp only here and there and ocasioanlly and they are not>> thinking of the profesional users that use Gimp seriously (and yes it is a>> powerfull program already and it can be used seriously) and some people>> seem>> to be forgetting that some people like me for example many, many times>> have>> several windows and applications running simultaneously and when I mean>> several I mean a lot, I find myself many times with 10 or 12 aplications>> and/or utilities or more open at the same time (with todays memorys and>> CPU>> power this is very possible and more common than some people think) and>> switching among them and believe me this is not uncommon for professional>> artists that are jumping from 3D to illustration to bitmap editor, video>> editing, Flash and/or a web page layout program or even more programs back>> and>> fort like a carrousel. In todays workflow you can find many users that>> work>> just like that instead of the persons that just open a bitmap editor>> ocasionally and the issue is that when you have a lot of windows of>> different>> programs open at the same time a program like Gimp can become a mess in>> the>> task bar in MS Windows or even in other Operating Systems. Sometimes when>> I'm>> working like that the taskbar is so full that it creates a second entry>> line>> and you have to switch between the first line of items or entries in the>> task>> bar and the secong and with Gimps it gets sort of confusing or anoying in>> that>> situation and I use Blender too which creates a second window for the>> command>> window and many times a third windows for the rendering window and then>> you>> get a mess. Programs that have a single entry in the task bar are far>> better>> for this type of workflow, they are easier to manage.>>>> Maybe the Gimp team should make a survey to see how many people prefer the>> single entry or single window program over the multiple ones. This issue>> of>> too many windows have been a source of complain of many, many Gimp users>> for>> long years and I think that it would be foolhardy to ignore and at the>> very>> least the Gimp team should consider making a survey to see how many people>> prefer the single window interface but remember what I told you at first>> about>> being able to put the toolbox pane and the right pane in other monitors>> despite the program being  single window or single entry program.>>>> I think that part of the confussion comes precisely from the fact that the>> issue of being a single window program and a program that has a single>> entry>> in the task bar are really two separate things.>>>> I personally, deffinitely prefer the Gimp being a program that always>> shows>> as a single entry in the taskbar that's really my main concern, it's just>> easier to manage single entry programs with a multiple applications>> workflow.>>>> -->> David G. (via www.gimpusers.com)>> _______________________________________________>> Gimp-developer mailing list>> Gimp-developer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer>>>> --> _______________________________________> Ramon Miranda> http://ramonmirandavisualart.blogspot.com> http://code.google.com/p/gps-gimp-paint-studio/>> _______________________________________________> Gimp-developer mailing list> Gimp-developer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer>>