Re: Tags on presets.

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 8:58 AM, Martin Nordholts <enselic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have also thought a bit on how to clean up the concept of brushes, and
in my mind, we could do it like this:
Ive also thought of this.

We make a "brush" be just a bitmap/svg/whatever (possibly also an
animation). Note that a brush would not even have a spacing as the
current GIMP gbr brushes.

I would call this part "stamp" or "tip". Essentially it would be a deffinition of the bitmap stamped on the canvas, possibly in form vector shape.

As to removing spacing from the brush... I believe the default value should come from the stamp(along with the base size for vector shapes), just because whats sane for one stamp is not sane for another. Its entirely dependent on the image in question and its intended use. IT can be optional, but possible to specify. Perhaps in some formats via a use of a custom meta data field.

A "brush preset" is a brush + dynamics, and this is actually what the
user typically picks. If we would have tags for brush presets, we would
be one step closer to make brush options be part of the brush, so to speak.

I can only agree with this if default spacing is part of the brush. If that is the case, then yes, it would be great. However, I see little point in differentiating between brush presets and tool presets in general. Having a dock for listing tool presets and tagging them just like any other resource would make things a lot easier in a uniform way for ALL tools.

--
--Alexia