Re: Tags on presets.

On 08/24/2009 03:33 AM, David Gowers wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 5:06 AM, Martin Nordholts<enselic@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>> On 08/22/2009 05:48 PM, Christophe Buffenoir wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I use the GPS set of presets and I think that tags system will be good
>>> on presets and not only on brushes.
>>>
>>> Nothing is done yet, the screens are just fakes to show my purpose. But,
>>> even if I've not enough spare time to do it quickly, I can code it.
>>
>> I think tagging of presets makes sense, in particular since brush
>> dynamics keep getting more and more sophisticated.
>>

> I immediately thought of Akira Shirakawa's proposition to move a
> majority of paint tool options into the concept of brushes. IMO doing
> that and using the already existing tagging for brushes would simplify
> the user interface and also the user experience.

I have also thought a bit on how to clean up the concept of brushes, and
in my mind, we could do it like this:

We make a "brush" be just a bitmap/svg/whatever (possibly also an
animation). Note that a brush would not even have a spacing as the
current GIMP gbr brushes.

A "brush preset" is a brush + dynamics, and this is actually what the
user typically picks. If we would have tags for brush presets, we would
be one step closer to make brush options be part of the brush, so to speak.

  / Martin

--

My GIMP Blog:
http://www.chromecode.com/