Re: What would be a better set of default resources?

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 1:36 AM, Martin Nordholts <enselic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,
I think we at least should:

 * Add larger variants of the circle and fuzzy circle
   brushes, say 50, 100, 250 and 500 px
Please no, there's too many round brushes already and bigger ones would look exactly the same and add confusion. There should not be 2 brushes that look to be the same shape in the default set. Since 2.8 will have decent scaling on all brushes, we could get rid of the N variants of round vector brushes(and that's where backward compatibility really bites). They represent an obsolete modus operandi, where scaling wasn't possible. What gimp needs is more examples of various vector brushes, like stars and tilted bars and alike that can be used perfectly with dynamics and some actually useful bitmap brushes for painting like activities.

 * Try to get rid of the Pepper, Sparks and Vine brushes
   in a backwards compatible way
They represent quite nice examples of bitmap brushes and I don't mind at all that they stick around, after all theres only 3 of them compared to 10+ round brushes. Combined with dynamics they make perfect example/demo brushes. See above for the real annoyance.

I propose we put all the legacy brushes we dont want to keep into a backwards compatibility extras pack and release it along with 2.8 (windows installer could let it be selected as an optional component and Linux distros can have an extra pack for them). Scripts that use hard coded brushes are not that common. In fact, I haven't seen a single one in general use or passing through FX Foundry.

Does anyone have any suggestions on adjustments and additions to the
default set of GIMP resources?

Default set of resources should include some tool presets, like some common aspect ratio fixed presets(2:3, 3:4) for crop tool and dynamics enabled presets for the paint tools using default resources set.

--Alexia