Re: Composition rendering time instance

hi,

Tobias Ellinghaus schrieb:
> Am Mittwoch, 8. Juli 2009 schrub yahvuu:
>
> [...]
>
>> The user sends a JPEG to a colleague for review -- takes 2 hours to render.
>> The image is OK, the user creates a TIFF for the print shop -- takes 2
>> hours again.
>>
>> I think in this case, the user would be better off if he had some
>> control about when the rendering happens.
>
> What about caching the rendered image? As long as nothing is changed it can be
> reused. And when anything is altered in the image it has to be rerendered
> anyway. At least if it's not possible to cache intermediate results of the
> rendering or just rerender the changed parts.

that gives a very nice solution! Some disk cache is needed by GEGL anyway,
and if that cache is persistent across sessions, unnecessary recalculations
can be mostly avoided.

Personally, i wouldn't mind to assign some GBs to GIMP in order to make my
life easier. Those who do mind, could set the 'persistent cache' size to zero
in order to make shure GIMP cleans up when closing the session.

In case someone really needs to save the rendered bitmap together with
the composition, there's still the possibility to put that option into
the finalize command. Or something like that.

regards,
peter