Creating a layer from a selection or pasting to a specified x, y coorinate

OK, so following Alexia's suggestion, I am going to plan on selecting ahead of time the rectangle I want my text to paste into.  The upper left corner of this selection will then be the upper left corner that I want to paste my png to.  How do I do that?  I thought about creating a layer the same size as the selection rectangle and pasting to (0,0) on that layer.  I see in the pdb how to create a layer with a certain width and height, but I don't see how to specify the offset.  And I don't see how to paste to a specific set of coordinates.  Can this be done?  If I use pdb.gimp_edit_paste_as_new, can I get the coordinates of the pasted selection and then move the floating selection before anchoring?  What is the right approach?

Thanks,

Ryan