PyGimp: letting the use pick coordinates

I am using the GIMP and a Wacom tablet as a digital blackboard for a course I am teaching this summer.  With Python and PyGimp, it is going really well (other than my bad hand writing made worse by the tablet - it is weird writing on the tablet and having to look to the screen to see what you have written).  Example lecture notes can be seen here:
http://home.cs.siue.edu/rkrauss/452/lectures/07_02_09/index.html

We are coming into a mathematically intensive part of the course and I feel like my handwritting has become a barrier.  I am creating my own text tool that use Latex and dvipng.  The hard part is already done: I have a wxPython application with a text control and a png preview portion and it is basically working.  I am now working on better GIMP integration.  Right now I type in the equations in my wxPython application and preview the png there.  When I want to paste the png into my lecture slide, I have to switch back to GIMP and press a key that is a short cut for a PyGimp script to load the cached png.  Then I position it on the slide with the move tool.  Not bad, but not as nice as Gimp's text tool.

I would like my Latex enabled approach to act like the regular text tool.  The main thing I don't know how to do is allow the user (me) to click on a spot on the current image and pass those coordinates to PyGimp so that I can use that as the top left corner of my png.  Does my question make sense?  Is there an easy way to allow the user to click on a spot on the image and get the coordinates from PyGimp?

Thanks,

Ryan