Re: lgm talk, part 2...

hi,

peter sikking schrieb:
> (peter) yahvuu wrote:
>
>> there's one thing i don't understand, may be a misconception:
>> why is it necessary to have separate modes for editing the RGB data
>> and the plates?
>
> mainly because creating art on a RGB monitor, to be used on
> many media, is not the same _activity_ as bringing this art to
> _one_ particular printing press.
>
> also, it is better when the art itself is separated from the adaptation of
> it for one press run.

ah, that helps. So it is deprecated to create single-ink 'light blue text'
directly on  the 'light blue' plate, as the text would then not be known to
be part of the artwork.

Can you give an outline how the print color for that text will be specified?
The RGB color isn't useful here and the text layer can't be accessed while
the press projection is pulled over, IIUC. So each artwork layer will have
a custom color separation setting resp. color mapping?

>> For example, if i have an RGB image in the composition and want to apply
>> 'value curves', that has to be done in the RGB area, for after
>> separation the plates are treated individually.
>
> the question is what is the curve for? is it artistic? then RGB is your
> space. getting the plates right? then chain them together and do a curve.
>
>> Now only after manually pulling over the 'press projection' again i
>> can discover that this operation drove my plates out of gamut.
>
> there is going to be no substitute for experience with printing presses
> and especially the particular press one is working towards.

sure. Gamut warnings can only ease the first step, by guiding
the color separation process.

>> Is it correct that there's no 'live preview' of the effects that RGB
>> manipulations have on the plates?
>

> if that is really needed by some users (see the two activities above
> and also "no substitute for experience") then a second view of the
> file (View->New view) can be run with the projection pulled down.
> might be hard on the processor.

Regarding the use-case of matching one color from a photo with a
predetermined ink combination, i think this will be useful.

greetings,
peter