Re: lgm talk, part 2...

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009, peter sikking wrote:

> guys,
>
> the second part of my lgm talk is blogged now:
>
> <http://www.mmiworks.net/eng/publications/2009/06/gimp-squaring-cmyk-circle.html
> >

> enjoy,

I do appreciate your work on this, but I have to say that I still
have some concerns.

I have to go somewhere, so I haven't read evreything
yet, but I'd like to make this point.  Converting from CMYK to
RGB and vice versa are not lossless by a long shot.  This is by
necessity and the fact that GEGL is non-destructive has nothing
to do with it, since large porions of image data will have to be
tossed when converting.

The gamut for RGB is far larger in the bright colors, and CMYK
can produce effects that cannot be produced in RGB.

See, for example:
<http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2009/06/expanding-the-gamut-sharp-to-increase-color-range-of-lcds.ars>

I am very concerned that your overlay concept would simply
degrade the image over successive conversions.

--
| Andrew A. Gill     To ensure continued quality of service,   |
|                    this e-mail is being monitored by the NSA |