Re: [wish] alignment rotation

On 05/14/2009 11:51 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 7:43 PM, Liam R E Quin wrote:
>
>> Go to tool options, choose "corrective mode" and preview "grid".
>> Now, align the grid with the item in your picture that you want to
>> be horizontal or vertical, and click rotate.
>
> In fact every time you will also need to create a different number of
> grid lines so that one of them would be as close as possible to a
> potentially horizontal/vertical feature. Straightening with a line the
> way Maciej described it would make it much easier.
>
> Alexandre

Alexandre,

We use this Gimp feature on virtually every image we create, sometimes
_hundreds_ per day.

Once we originally set the number of lines in the grid, we have felt no
need to make a change for months ... thousands of images.

However, I do have to say that the Photoshop 5.5 feature of simply
drawing a line with the measure tool and then doing the rotate command
is more efficient.

And I do like the suggestion of clicking on the first point and then the
second point, rather than having to draw a line as in Photoshop.

I would like to see this feature _added_ to Gimp, while still retaining
the grid mechanism also.

My desire would be for:

   click (on first point)
   click (on second point to finish the line)
   do a keystroke command that can be accomplished with ONE hand
     to execute the task (I would prefer not to have to hit the Enter
     key)

That would be most efficient.

Jay