Re: Background color property for GIMP images

Hi Jon!

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 4:35 PM, Jon Senior <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 11:01:08 +0930
> David Gowers <00ai99@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> X could work almost unchanged (just, pressing X multiple times in
>> quick succession would move back through the 5-slot color history,
>> rather than just swapping the two newest slots. So your current usage
>> of X would be unchanged, but you could use it to switch between more
>> than 2 colors)
>>
>> So far, no one has given any feedback on the idea, or indeed any
>> acknowledgement of it. This disappoints me, as it really does fit
>> neatly into the 'holes' of yahvuu's proposal and would make those
>> areas even more effective than GIMP currently is before implementing
>> yahvuu's proposal alone.
>
> I didn't understand it at first, and believed that the idea was that 'x' would cycle through the colours in a palette. Meaning that the user would press 'x' once to change to a new colour and another four times to go back to the original. Looking at your animated gif it all makes a lot more sense, although I suspect that the timings will be critical. I would also (as a user) want some method of adjusting or "loading" those five colours, either via 5 swatches in the tool box, or a single "choose colours" dialog.

Thanks for the feedback ! :)

I envision that you would just choose colors whenever you want, and
that new color would enter slot #1, and push back the other items
(knocking the item in the old slot #5 out).

This is how it works in MyPaint, and it's pretty effective. However,
this may take some consideration as to when to adjust the color
history, as the color selection dialog of GIMP allows you to tweak
colors continuously, with no clear indication of when you're 'done'
selecting a color.
I guess we'd store a copy of the color which was in slot #1 before
changing it, and then adjust the history (slots 2,3,4 -> slots 3,4,5;
stored color -> slot 2; new color = slot 1) after a certain time
delay(1.5 seconds?). In this way slot 1 would always be current, while
avoiding overpopulating the history with minor tweaks of a single
color.

In the case of clicking to sample colors from gradients, the history
ought to update each time the user releases the left mouse button.
(Note:  my understanding is that there is a distinct lack of users who
are aware they can left-click to sample colors from gradients, sadly.)

In the case where the popup dialog, or palettes, or eyedropping, or
drag-n-dropping colors, is used, no delay is necessary (because the
user is explicitly specifying when the color is 'ready'; the meaning
of their actions is entirely unambiguous.)

If you wanted to fill all 5 slots with 5 specific colors from the
image, you'd just ctrl+click 5 times (assuming you're currently using
a paint tool), or click one after another on 5 colors in your palette,
or one of the other methods I mention above (that currently only
effect the FG color). Simple. With that, I believe there is no need to
edit anything other than a single color (slot #1, the current color)

On a related note: The popup color editing dialogs have color history
(A ColorNotebook?)
(for example, doubleclick on a palette color)
This is slightly different in nature to the kind of history I'm
suggesting -- the popup history list is like a list of 'colors I like'
(10 long; colors are only added explicitly with the '>' button),
whereas my history list of course is of 'colors I'm using right now
(or recently)'.
These two lists would not interact in any way, due to their
fundamentally different application.

It's important to depict these two color histories in a differing way,
so that there is no confusion between the two types of history
(semi-permanent vs transient)

>> If we maintain a strict visual order (eg. newest at right -- see my
>> GIF above), this could work better than naming it 'current' ->
>> 'previous'
>
> It does also resolve a question that was floating around in my head as to what the "new" non-background colour would be called. The gradient tool is an obvious example of one where the foreground/background naming convention is strong, and easy to understand. This might require that the "choose colours" dialog allows a method for swapping the colour order, because having to do it using only 'x' could get annoying when arranging two colours for use in a gradient.

Again, a maximum of two eyedroppings/ your method of choice should
easily arrange the color history appropriately.

Also, my experience with MyPaint is that needed keypresses are few --
remember, you would only have to press X a maximum of 8 times to get
any two colors to the front.
The '8' example comes from if you want slots #5, #4 transferred to #2,
#1. You press X four times to select #5, and wait a short time
(1.5s?); then press X another four times to select #4 (which became #5
after your previous selection).
the history looked like this  (letters represent colors rather than
slots) "ABCDE" and after the first step it looks like "BCDEA", after
the second step it looks like "CDEAB" (ie. the content of slots #5, #4
moved into slots #2, #1)

If you still believe any more editing machinery than what I describe
above is necessary, please elucidate.

Thanks.

David