Re: New User's opinion

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 9:10 PM, Mirai Warren wrote:
> The notion that a program can improve artistic skills is heavily and
> typically misleading.  An artist can put together excellent works with
> any tool he chooses to use.  For instance, Microsoft Paint is
> responsible for some of the best creations at pixeljoint.com.
>
> On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 11:04 AM, Rob Antonishen wrote:
>> If it's the latter, then a new download of Gimp might just give you a
>> drawing program that will improve your skills - as it has with mine.

To be honest, that wasn't the point I was hoping to convey ;)

I was hoping this:
>However, I recently got Gimp and I was pleasantly surprised at my
>ability to pick it up, even without an integral help file (which still
>won't load )
>I'd heard all sorts of horror stories about how difficult it is to
>use, but that isn't my experience. I found it quite possible to use
>the basics and ignore the rest.
>
>My conclusion is that either the scare stories are wrong, or the
>latest version of the software is much easier to use than earlier
>versions.

would be the perceived point.

And while I can accept what you say (to a degree), I highly doubt any
individual would create something like this:
http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/5646.htm

using paint.  While it is technically possibly to create dither
patterns like this using a tool like MS-Paint (which it wasn't in this
case - it was Gimp), it is my opinion that an artist would have to
either be masochistic, have way to much time on their hands, or just
be stubbornly trying to make a point to use such a tool rather than a
more suitable one...

-Rob A>