Re: GIMP PDF export plugin

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 9:58 PM, peter sikking wrote:

> If you had carefully read what I am offering to design for
> GIMP you will see that it is a lot more than an export.
>
> I am talking about covering the main image window with a
> "projection screen" in this case for cmyk, whenever one wants,
> from the first to the last second of the project, that with
> the profile
> of the printing press will give you some idea (I know there are
> limits) of how it will come off the press. this projection screen
> will have its own layers where one can take corrective measures
> to make the output look good within the possible output range.
> these corrective layers will hen be used of course for the
> mastering/export to cmyk. all the cmyk tricks you talk about
> (ink decomposition, trapping) can be set up for the
> projection screen and where possible previewed there.

So at the point of final projection users will gain access to each of
the CMYK channels separately? That indeed sounds like a fair solution.

However, there still is a question of being able to use spot colors,
e.g. in vector layers.

> I would like to have this answered answer first: why can't they
> do it with scribus? are we the last piece of (free) software
> in the world that can help them?

You can do things like using spot color based duo-/tri-/quadrotones in
Scribus, but you run into limitations, because these kinds of raster
effects are not a natural part of a desktop publishing application.
And a DTP application tends to rather collect and layout already
mastered content than try to substitute a sophisticated vector or
bitmap graphics editor.

Alexandre