Re: GIMP PDF export plugin

FYI, my company writes most of its own output in PostScript for high end laser printers (e.g., Xerox I-GEN 3 and 4). We avoid CMYK. But we're not a pre-canned application company, we write everything ourselves. All of our printers work great with RGB colorspace. The need for CMYK is usually based on the software that goes with the printer or the shop's chosen software helper applications. I suspect that CMYK in the laser printer market is just something passed on from wet press. However, people often send CMYK art to us, and we need the ability to import CMYK into RGB.

About PDF: PDF has some of its own drawing language, but when it comes to raster, it simply embeds bitmaps. That imbedded bitmap can be an almost exact copy of tiff, png, gif, whatever. PDF is a hybrid vector language with embedded bitmap. I'd love the ability to import or export with PDF pages translated to/from layers.

And kudos to gimp for having the best quality PostScript. Gimp outputs valid PostScript, which I can't say the same for on most Adobe products. PDF used to be a proprietary thing, where Adobe made readers free, and writers pay, but they turned it into an open standard and anyone is free to do whatever they want these days. I'd trust gimp to do a better job at a PDF implementation than I would Adobe.