Re: Behavior when saving a selection to channel

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Rob Antonishen
<rob.antonishen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 10:15 PM, David Gowers wrote:
>> Hello Rob,
>>> It seems you can no longer paste into a channel.
>> In the latest SVN, you can.
>> It is confusing that the floating layer shows up in the layers dialog
>> rather than the channels dialog. otherwise, things are normal. Maybe
>> 2.6 doesn't have these fixes.
>>
>> David.
>>

> OK, I'm quite wrong.  I was looking to be able to use Paste Into, and
> have it paste directly into the active channel.
Ah, I see the problem now. There is not an 'active channel'.
There is rather an 'active drawable' (and both layers and channels are
classified as drawables). This has always been the case (but perhaps
we can show this in a clearer way? I wonder what Peter thinks.)

> So to paste into a channel you have to...
>
> - select the channel (in the channel panel)
> - edit > paste (or paste into)
> - select the layer panel
> - hit the anchor button
> - select the channel panel.
Note this is less confusing and faster when you have Anchor bound to a
keyboard shortcut. Select the channel, paste, anchor. (if you wanted
to change opacity or layer mode, you still have to switch to Layers
dialog though - ick!)

David