Re: Modifier key to create new layer from floating selection

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 6:35 AM, David Gowers <00ai99@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 2:34 AM, Daniel Hornung <daniel.hornung@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Thursday 20 November 2008, David Gowers wrote:
>>>
>>> This is usually effectively the same as pasting (ctrl+V for most
>>> people, Insert for me). Is creating a floating selection that does not
>>> match the clipboard contents a common use case, or do we just need to
>>> document this behaviour better?
>>
>> Sorry, I think there's a misunderstanding here:
>>
>> I proposed a mouse-driven way to create a new layer from an existing floating
>> selection. (And not to paste the current (floating) selection into the
> Okay then, 'New layer' button does this (unless you also want to keep
> the floating layer around -- that can be done too with a bit of
> scripting). There is also a 'new layer'  action available that you can
> bind a key to, that does the same thing.

Oops, I see you originally suggested modifier-clicking to create a new layer.
Sorry, I do not agree with that proposition, it seems too fiddly to me
-- esp. because there is no reliably free modifier key. (Alt is only
unused by paint, transform (and color?) tools; All selection tools use
Alt.)

Now if we could bind actions to mouse gestures, this kind of thing
would come up less often I think.

However, are you aware you could bind Alt+scrollwheel-up to new-layer
to achieve a very similar result?
This works properly with all tools, too, since it is genuinely non-conflicting.

David