Re: Better grouping of layer modes

Hi,

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 11:06 PM, Martin Nordholts <enselic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> peter sikking wrote:
>> Martin wrote:
>>> The darker and lighter modes have been internally sorted based on how
>>> much they tend to affect the image, see end of mail.
>>>

>> is it then a coincidence you got implicitly almost every of
>> these groups labelled up by their first item (Lighten, Darken,
>> Overlay, Difference)? it is a good thing this is happening.
>>

> No it was not a coincidence, I deliberatly put Lighten, Darken and
> Overlay at the top of their groups to make them act like "labels".
> Difference was more or less a coincidence though, but you're right in
> that it makes a nice label as well since you can end up with completely
> Different colors when using modes in that group.
>
>> the only thing I would change is to swap the order of Grain merge and
>> Grain extract. simply because it is explained as a workflow in that
>> order in the manual.
>>

> Good point, I will swap those.
Actually, I didn't understand  why you grouped them with Difference
(even given your explanation of 'can produce completely different
colors'); I would have grouped them with Overlay, since they both
provide darkening ( on one side of 128) and lightening (on the other
side of 128),

In general I like these new groupings a lot, particularly the
positional correlation (add/sub, dodge/burn)
I'm a bit puzzled as to why Multiply is paired thusly with Screen --
Divide is closer to being the opposite of Multiply IMO (from a visual
inspection div(mul(x)) and mul(div(x)) are closer to the original x
than scr(mul(x)) or mul(scr(x)) )

David