Re: Gimp default brush set contest

Hi,

On Tue, 2008-07-08 at 18:14 -0700, Valerie wrote:

> I guess we have drastically different usages of brushes though.
> I NEVER use a "brush of exactly 17 pixels". In fact, a brush of
> "exactly 17 pixels" is pretty much useless to me. Most people
> go by a visual cue instead of specific values, and you can't
> see the exact size of the brushes in the list in the first place.

Exactly, you need a visual cue. That's why I think it's important to
offer a set of differently sized brushes in the brushes list. So that
people can pick a brush of about the right size. But perhaps we needd to
rethink the user interface for brush selection and try to come up with a
solution that works better?

> > Sure, that's why we keep asking for someone to improve
> > the collection of default brushes collection in GIMP
> > for some years now. So far there hasn't been much interest.
> > We also don't have a maintainer for the gimp-data-extras package.
>
> It's not going to help if you oppose every attempt to help
> instead of welcoming at least a step in the right direction.

In case you did not realize, this was meant as an offer for you to step
up and take the job. We would very much like to ship GIMP with a better
default set of brushes. We didn't manage to do that for 2.4 except for
replacing the pixmap brushes with parametric ones. But we definitely
need to add some nice texture brushes. I am not sure if a contest is the
best way to achieve that. But I don't really care, as long as something
happens.

Sven