Gimp default brush set contest

Note: the developers barely have to do a thing.
Half the current default is made up of non-editable round-ish brushes (that in my opinion makes the brush editor hard to discover, because new users end up wondering why the brush editor never works. In fact, I start each new installation ofGimp by sudo rm-ing the extra round brushes and replacing themwith one editable one).
With the new resize options, they could easily be replaced by:
- 2 or 3 editable ones (one plain, one with ratio and one with hardness)
- and a lot more variety for the rest (a few texture brushes inthe default would give artists a much better first impression ofGimp than the current one, without the developers having toprogram a thing)
My proposal: start a Gimp Default Brush Set contest. Ask users to submit their own brush proposals, select the best of each and make a new default. Deviantart seems like a good gathering point, with outside submissions possible. Then the contest just has to be announced on the Gimp website and on other venues.
Rough guidelines (to be refined later):
- Users can submit just a few brushes rather than a full set.
- Although users can recommend other people’s brushes, this is only if the original creator (including eventual original creators of Photoshop brushes) gives personal approval of the conditions listed (most expect users to credit them, which is not doable if their brushes are used in a Gimp brush default set).
Most likely, users would have to approach the original creators and ask them to submit themselves to avoid complications. Plagiarism results in immediate disqualification.
- The brushes should be generic enough to reflect a wide variety of usages: texture brushes are good, too specific shapes less so.
- The set should avoid repeating a same brush with different sizes: there are resize commands for that.
- The set should have variety. By corollary, there shouldn’t be too many brushes of a same type. At most, there should be 3 to 5 of a category.
Also, users must include a preview of all the brush outputs to show their potential.
The only "reward" is that the brush creators get to feel goodabout their brushes being included in the Gimp default set.
My personal proposal would be a set that goes along the lines of:- 1 editable round brush, 1 editable fuzzy brush, 1 editable "calligraphy" brush- 1 editable diagonal star brush, a few square brushes?- the 3 current "Pencil sketch" brush (all 3 to prevent resize-fuzziness)- The current confetti brush- 3 "charcoal texture" brushes- 3 "watercolor texture" brushes- 3 "cloud texture" brushes- 3 splatter brushes- 3 "hair" brushes- etc.
For examples, see brushes by filsd:http://filsd.deviantart.com/art/GIMP-Animated-Brushes-1-55860153http://filsd.deviantart.com/art/GIMP-Animated-Brushes-2-58720457http://filsd.deviantart.com/art/GIMP-Animated-Brushes-3-70913869http://filsd.deviantart.com/art/Brushes-Pack-Ink-hachuras-85080074
(though obviously they can’t be All included)
Users must agree with the disclaimer that their full sets willlikely not be used "as is", and that once they've submitted, anybody can tamper with them.
Also, although Gimp will credit the creators when announcing the new default brush set, their brushes must be under a Creative Common licenses that doesn't force users to credit each time they use the brushes.
Where timing is concerned, I suggest announcing such a contestwhen 2.6 Beta 1 gets released (whenever that is). This way users can also take into account the dynamic brush features.
Anyway, people who are nostalgic can always install the old brush set.
Again, the developers barely have to do anything except include the end result, so please don't call this a waste of Your time.I wouldn't mind coordinating the contest, and I'm sure other people wouldn't mind helping either.