Paintbrush fading / hardness

Hi,

Is there a way to specify the paintbrush's hardness via the C API for a
non-generated brush?  A plugin I'm developing creates quite a few brushes
from PNGs with alpha layers, and when I use gimp_paintbrush() to 'stamp' a
single instance of the brush on the canvas, any portions of the brush that
have an alpha value less than 255 (i.e. are even partially transparent)
are stamped with a lower alpha value than in the brush itself.
Completely opaque elements of the brush are unaffected.  I'm using Gimp
2.4.2 on Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon).

I can reproduce this in the UI by simply using the paintbrush tool and
clicking once on the canvas.  If I check 'hardness' in the pressure
sensitivity portion of the paintbrush's tool options, I get the desired
behavior when painting manually (even though I'm using a normal mouse).
I haven't been able to find a way to reproduce this from a plugin.
Varying the paint application mode and/or the gradient length passed to
gimp_paintbrush() doesn't do the trick.

So...

  1. Is this a bug, or a feature?

  2. If the latter, is there a way to avoid the fading via the C API?

I've written up a demo -- individual files may be found at
http://www.sellner.org/drop/brush-fader/, while the tarball is at
http://www.sellner.org/drop/brush-fader.tgz.  It can be installed via
gimptool, and installs into "<Images>/Filters/Generic/Brush Fader".  When
run, it takes the current image (which must be RGB) and generates a brush
from it.  The plugin then creates a new (blank) image, draws with the new
brush, and creates a second brush from the result.  This is repeated 4
times, creating a total of 6 progressively more transparent brushes.
Finally, an example image is created with one instance of each of the 6
brushes.  Since the act of painting onto the example image induces fading,
the example image won't contain an unfaded copy of the brush image.

Running brush-fader against the two image files included in the tarball
illustrates the effects: brush-fader-circle is a single instance of a
standard fuzzy brush, and the outer 'fringe' slowly disappears.
brush-fader-mountains was created with a tablet, doesn't have any
completely opaque portions, and fades away entirely.  The images that
result from running brush-fader on the two examples are
brush-fader-circle-results.xcf and brush-fader-mountains-results.xcf.

Thanks much,

-Brennan