Re: Prototype of PaintBrush extension framework.

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 14:03:58 +0100, Souichi TAKASHIGE <sigetch@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> I think it is responsibility of module developers for
> synchronizing its code to the latest version of API so that exposing API
> does not prevent to change its interface.

That is not a very helpful attitude. Having a stable API is essential.
Version dependancies are already a major headache on linux , repeating
that within Gimp does not seem attractive. I dont think it is helpful to
envolve everyone who ever wrote/writes some tool, module or plugin into a
some weekly maintainance loop. This just wont happen.

What will happen is that a lot of useful code will quickly become obsolete
and if it becomes a major long term comittment to mainainance those
willing to contribute will deminish further.

Changes to APIs can be necessary sometimes but this should only be done as
matter of last resort , not as a matter of course.

You cannot expect the turn the whole situation on its head because it
suits what you would like to do.

It's your responcability to find a solution not let everyone else deal
with fall out for the rest of time.