Re: $HOME

Hi,

On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 19:17 +0100, Klaus Ethgen wrote:

> > And we will most likely want to make it even more complex and add a
> > check that the directory pointed to by the HOME environment variable
> > does actually exist.
>
> Ehem, why didn't you do that before?

Because it is very unlikely that the user directory as specified in the
passwd is not present. This is different for the value of the HOME
environment variable. The user might easily mess this up.

Why are you arguing at all? The problem you pointed out hasn't bothered
anyone but you in the last twelve years. The natural response to your
request would have been to turn it down. In particular because it is
based on the wrong assumption that every other application would behave
differently. That is wrong as can be easily seen by doing a code search
for g_get_home_dir(). Instead of turning your request down we expressed
interest to consider your patch if you can rework it a little. It would
help a lot if you could simply do that.

Sven