Re: GIMP on gtk-macosx, anyone?

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure I understand fully your packaging mechanism, but would it be
possible to have script-fu and the launcher as faceless background apps?  I
know it's possible to disable the dock presence (for a given app) -- but I
am not sure if it's really needed a UI for the extra 2 processes in your new
scheme.  If I understand the intentions of the project (make GIMP a seamless
first-class citizen on OS X), in theory the user shouldn't need to worry
about those technical details: so I'm thinking, maybe any config-related UI
elements could be removed or moved somewhere else and have the 2 additional
processes as background daemons.

Actually the goal at the moment is to get rid of the launcher, only this way can GIMP be a true mac app (this includes the ability to open documents by dropping them on its icon, all general interaction from the dock, using application switchers, etc. none of these native features could be performed properly with a hidden launcher. That's why I'm working towards removing the launcher altoghether and itneraction directly with the gimp executable. Making script-fu a faceless background process is probably possible but I still need to experiment.

Also, keep in mind removinf the launcher IS possible, I've already done it, I just need to refine my instructions. I am thinking about creating some sort of GTK binary distribution for mac (anyway if I don't someone else will do. such a distribution would ease the process A LOT).

You would also have to do this (or something like this) for all
plug-ins. Script-Fu just happens to run as an extension. But there might
be other GIMP extensions and since all plug-ins are separate processes,
they would probably all show up in the dock when they are being run.

Ok. Well I will first try to figure out the appropraite code to do that (I have sample code I think could work but I still have to test it). When I figure that out, we can think about polishing things. Also, just removing the launcher would already improve the interaction a lot so I may start with that instead.

Has this been reported upstream?

It has, and it might even be fixed, I don't know, I need to update my GTK version and test again (I'm doing it at the moment but it takes a rather long time to compile everything on my computer)