Re: tagged resources such as brushes, gradients, etc

Hi,

On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 12:03 +0100, Tobias Jakobs wrote:
> On Jan 18, 2008 8:55 AM, Sven Neumann <sven@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > My current favorite approach is to put the tags into files in the
> > ~/.gimp-2.x directory, one file per resource type. So there would be a
> > brushrc, gradientrc, patternrc and so on. These files will contain
> > metadata from the actual resource files.
>
> One think I'm missing here is a way to share brushes with tags.
> The user scenarios I'm thinking about is:
> - Download package (ZIP-File) with a lot of brushes
> - Install them (btw. Finding the right folder and copying them into it
> looks like a problem for some users. At least it's an FAQ in the
> German gimpforum.de.)
> - Now I'd like to have this brushes tagged in Gimp and start working
> with this brushes and I don't want to tag them myself.

You are right that installing resources is a problem for most users. At
some point we should deal with this by adding functionality to import
resources files into GIMP. Ideally it should be as simple as dropping
the archive file or a folder on the Brushes list. GIMP should then ask
the user if the files should be copied into the main brushes folder or
if the folder location should be added to the brush search path. At the
same time GIMP could ask for tags to assign to the new brushes. Ideally
it would also look for a tags file in the folder and offer the tags
found therein as the default.

Sven