Re: Haze on GIMP 2.4 image - Should this be a bug report?

   Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 11:52:49 -0800 (PST)
   From: Mark Lowry <vabijou@xxxxxxxxx>

   The reason I asked is that my goal when post-processing is to end
   up with a print that looks like my screen.  When I print from
   Windows Picture & Fax Viewer, it looks like what I see on the
   screen.  I assumed that printing from GIMP would give you a print
   that looked like the image that is open in GIMP, but I guess that's
   just silly.  Who would want that?

It's not silly, but the monitor profile doesn't have anything to do
with printing.  The monitor profile is just the profile for the
monitor; it affects how the image is displayed.

As for whether you'll get exactly the same output if you print through
GIMP vs. if you print through the viewer, that depends upon exactly
what GIMP (and the print plugin you're using -- if you're using
Windows, I suspect you're using the GIMP 2.4 print plugin, not the
Gutenprint plugin with which I'm familiar) does in the way of color
management on printing, and exactly what the viewer does.  I'm not
familiar with Windows printing, so I don't know exactly where color
management happens in the printing chain.  But that's independent of
what either GIMP or the viewer does with the *monitor* profile.

--
Robert Krawitz                                     <rlk@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf@xxxxxxxxxxxx

--Eric Crampton