Re: Idea: selection curve

Hi David,

I made a file showing a typical use case:

  http://www.chauveau-central.net/misc/sample.xcf

My goal here is to select the over-saturated part of the red hairs of
the layer L1 as shown in L10 (a blue 'quick mask' of the final selection).

L2, L3 and L4 are simply the layers obtained by the HSV decomposition of
L1. I used them to simulate the effects of the proposed 'Curve Selection
Tool'.

After opening the 'Curve Selection Tool' the image would switch to a
mode similar to the 'quick mask' mode showing the amount of selection at
each point using a transparent coloured channel.  By default, all curves
would be initialized to the function f(x)=1.0 so everything would be
selected by default (unless the original selection is also taken into
account)

The first selection curve I would edit would be the 'Hue' as shown in
'curve1'.
The horizontal axis represents the HUE while the vertical axis
represents the amount of selection according to the HUE. Here I am
trying to select the red pixels so most of the curve should be set to 0%
expect for the red area which should be set to 100%. After setting the
Hue curve, the selection mask will be equivalent to the layer L5 which I
obtained by applying curve1 to L2.

Then I would select the 'Saturation' curve and set it as shown in
'curve2' to discard the pixels with a low saturation. The effect of that
saturation curve is shown in L6.

Of course, since the Hue curve is already set, the layer mask will be in
fact equivalent to multiplication of L5 and L6 as shown in L5b (obtained
by merging L5 and L6 in Multiply mode).

Finally, I would have to edit the 'Value' curve as shown in curve3 to
discard the dark pixels.
L7 shows the effect of curve3 alone.

L8 shows the effect of the 3 curves applied together (by multiplying L5,
L6 and L7).

L10 shows how the 'quick mask mode' would appear after setting the 3 curves.