Gaussian blur in GIMP compared to Photoshop

I noticed that with Gaussian blur, the Radius setting in GIMP means something different than in Photoshop CS3.

As a test, I made a black square on a white background and used Gaussian blur on it with Photoshop CS3 and the current development version of GIMP with radius 6.0 pixels. Photoshop blurs the image much more heavily than GIMP; to get the same effect with GIMP, I had to set the radius to approximately 19.0 pixels.

Is Gaussian blur not a standard algorithm that has a well-defined meaning for the radius? See for example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_blur

If it is, then which one is doing it wrong, CS3 or GIMP?

--
Jesper de Jong
jespdj@xxxxxxxxx